Followers

Friday, August 27, 2010

This is my first blog. My first post. My next addicting new hobby.

Well, here we go.  I am a computer technician at my local (unnamed) community college. I think, to be entertaining, I will start off with my favorite problem.  A majority of our calls come from disgruntled teachers.  "The projector isn't working," type deals.  This call came from an employee, who thought her computer was going too slow.  After I arrived to the scene, it was in fact, moving SLOW.  The task manager happened to read that the cpu usage was at 100%.  All the was open was outlook. Hmmmm.  Well, she does have more than 10 mb of RAM i'm sure. What's the problem?

That's when I saw it.  The lonely little .bat file sitting on the desktop.  I right-clicked it and pressed edit.  I was looking to see what this file did.  After fixing the problem I immediately deleted it, so sorry for none of the source code, but what it was essentially doing, was attempting to delete Internet Explorer! Of course it can't, so then, it had written as a rule, after failing to delete, re-try.  So in the background was code trying to delete internet explorer, over and over and over.  I thought it was pretty clever.  More of a joke than malicious software or anything. I had a good laugh about it, hopefully you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment